Find the Hero In You and Give Blood
The #1 reason cited for not donating blood is “no one ever asked me.” That’s why we’re asking you to roll up your sleeve and save lives by donating blood Thursday, June 27th through Saturday, June 29th, at a United Blood Services donor center.
The Independence Day holiday week is the most difficult time of the summer to make sure Arizona patients have the lifesaving transfusions they need. That’s why we are asking you to give blood and save lives. All donors will be automatically entered to win a 2013 Passat S donated by your Valley Volkswagen dealers. Six daily drawings will also be held for a pair of roundtrip tickets to the Grand Canyon, courtesy of Grand Canyon Railway.
Along with all the donor centers, you can also give with 93.3 KDKB from 10am-Noon on Thursday, June 27th at the Chandler Donor Center (Elliot & Dobson). We'll also have a chance to win Black Sabbath tickets and other cool stuff.
United Blood Services donor centers are listed below or you can call 1-877-UBS-HERO and visit www.BloodHero.com (enter your ZIP code). Be sure to tell United Blood Services that KDKB sent you!
United Blood Services Donation Locations: Thursday, June 27 (10am – 7pm) & Friday – Saturday, June 28–29 (7am – 2pm):
Chandler Donor Center: 1989 W. Elliot Rd., #33 (Elliot & Dobson)
Glendale Donor Center: 18583 N. 59th Ave., #113 (59th Ave. & Union Hills)
Goodyear Donor Center: 14270 W. Indian School Rd., #C-8 (Indian School & Litchfield)
Mesa Donor Center: 1337 S. Gilbert Rd., #101 (Gilbert & Hampton)
Phoenix Donor Center: 5757 N. Black Canyon Hwy. (Bethany Home Rd. & I-17)
Scottsdale Donor Center: 15170 N. Hayden Rd., #6 (Hayden & 83rd Pl.)
Blood Supply Info:
For more information, or to make an appointment at any United Blood Services donor center: call 1-877-GIVE (4483) or visit www.BloodHero.com.
- Every 2 seconds someone needs blood.
- All blood types are needed, especially during the holiday season, however always in greatest demand is O-Negative - the universal blood type that can be substituted in emergencies
- It takes 8 donors to fulfill Arizona’s patient blood needs for just 15 minutes.
- 1 out of every 5 hospital patients needs blood. The average transfusion requires 3.4 donors.
- #1 reason cited for not donating: No one ever asked me. KDKB is here to ask listeners to be a hero by donating blood.
- One blood donation can save several lives because it can be separated into components: red blood cells, platelets and plasma
- Red blood cells are used by surgery and trauma patients to provide oxygen and nutrients to the body’s tissues and organs
- Platelets control bleeding for cancer and leukemia patients
- Plasma provides lifesaving clotting factors for patients suffering from internal bleeding
- 1 in 3 people will eventually need blood. 38% of the population is eligible to donate blood; but only 5% does.
Brought to you by Southwest Gas